Marketing ideas -- foreign-born experts v. outsourced/H1B Visa "cheap guys"

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sat Apr 22 15:39:53 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 11:27 -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> I'm pretty sure your congressperson isn't on this list so whatever
> political agenda you seem to be on fire about, but its well outside
> the scope of anything appropriate with regard to fedora discussion.

My original point was that these are the people writing much of
Microsoft software and other commericial and in-house developments.
It's based on first-hand experience, both before and after the explosion
of the H1B Visa program and outsourcing.

> The specifics about US government's current Visa policies are at best
> tangential discussion, at worst its a discussion destined to offend
> because its clearly a deeply emotional issue for you and you have
> lapsed into general venting about. It's time to let this particular
> topic go on this list and its time for you to contact your
> congressperson and vent.

My apologies for taking it to a new level.  I realized I managed to
insult a few people in my original comment.  I've worked with some
extremely intelligent and capable Indian, Irish and Israeli immigrants
and even a few firms early in my career.

And I've worked with utter crap from the same the last 7-8 years,
because now they are sending too much of the crap over too.  You'd have
the same problem if you shipped the lowest technical crap of America too
(probably more so).

It doesn't happen with Open Source.  That was my point.

--
Bryan J. Smith             Professional, technical annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org       http://thebs413.blogspot.com