increasing the reach of fedora-marketing

Jonathan Roberts jonathan.roberts.uk at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 29 10:01:01 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 02:59 +0100, David Nielsen wrote:
> søn, 28 10 2007 kl. 21:35 -0400, skrev Rik van Riel:
> > On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 02:14:54 +0100
> > David Nielsen <david at lovesunix.net> wrote:
> > > søn, 28 10 2007 kl. 19:31 -0400, skrev Rik van Riel:
> > >
> > > For a while now I've been thinking about doing a "looking ahead" page
> > > to show off the upcoming features in Fedora.
> >
> > One question though: who would look at the page?
> >
> > If it is just Fedora users looking at the page, the page will
> > still be interesting for them, but it will not help get wide
> > publicity for the Fedora project.
> >
> > If the goal is to increase Fedora's press exposure, we may be
> > better off writing (small) articles about technology as things
> > are implemented and get those distributed as widely as possible.
> >
> > What is your goal?
>
> I don't see why it wouldn't be as good an option to get a bit of press
> and stir up some attention by showing off what we are working on as
> doing articles. I certainly think we should do both, and let's amass a
> digg army to flood the web with Fedora information. It's one thing to
> have the information, it's a complete other problem to get the
> information spread. So far we've seemed to just put in on the wiki and
> hope people would pick up on it, we need to be more proactive in
> promoting our coolness.
>
> I blogged about the lack of selfworth we seem to have a while back, we
> don't tell people about all our cool developments, if we aren't proud of
> and vocal about our work why should the users or the press be?

If you want to help, one thing you could do is help out with the feature
preview interviews - it doesn't take a lot to put some questions
together for the relevant developers, but wikifying them and posting
around the various news sites can be a bit tedious.

I'm not sure if you've noticed this or not, but over the last little
while I've been trying quite hard to get plenty of information out about
the coolest new features in Fedora 8 and got several articles to the
digg front page with 100s of votes. Anyway, if you want to help that
would be awesome, but do keep us informed of other efforts you may want
to undertake and I'm sure me and everyone on this list will do our best
to help out!

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Interviews

Best wishes,

Jon