increasing the reach of fedora-marketing

Lisa Hoover lisahoover at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 11:08:28 UTC 2007

Hi,

This is a really interesting discussion and I see a lot of good ideas
here. I'm a technology journalist so perhaps I can shed some light on
what might work and what may not.

In my opinion, the *number one* thing a group can do to get their
message out is to forge a one-on-one relationship with journalists. If
you see someone reporting on Fedora somewhere, don't hesitate to drop
them an email saying something like, "I saw your review of F8 and
thought you'd like to know we've just put up some new information here
about XYZ." Many journalists have official or unofficial "beats" based
on topics they follow closely, are enthused about, or just happen to
know a lot about and will leap on new information -- if they know
about it.

Two-way communication is, of course, important. Simply throwing a link
at a journalist won't work as well as making sure there's someone
available to answer questions and offer quotes. Red Hat and Fedora are
terrific about this, by the way, and it's fairly easy to connect with
someone to get follow-up information. I only bring it up to suggest
that 20 people randomly emailing journalists may not bring results as
good as a coordinated effort that includes a go-to person for more
info. It looks like you're already working with Leigh on this. Great!

Speaking of quotes: Yes, it's true that some outlets cut and paste
from press releases, however most do not. For some, it's against
editorial policy, for others it's a personal preference. Therefore, I
heartily disagree with the notion that by making it "easier for the
cut'n'paste journalists to publish information on Fedora, we will
greatly increase the amount of publicity Fedora gets." The "easiest"
way to increase publicity is to make the story accessible to the
journalist. We need to know, at a minimum, what's happening, why it's
important, and where to get additional information to put it into
context. Hand that information to a journalist along with contact info
for someone willing to quickly answer a couple of follow-up questions
and your chances of getting publicity skyrocket.

Of *course* I understand that that's a tall order. I know it's not
realistic to expect availability like that from a group of volunteers,
no matter how dedicated they are (and, again, I think Fedora does an
*excellent job already of being available to answer reporters'
questions). My point is that, yes, being first on the Internet with
news is important but many news Web sites nowadays simply aggregate or
compile "breaking news" feeds on a section of their front page so as
not to bother with the whole "cut and paste so we can be among the
first only to find out everyone else has the *exact same story" issue.
The bottom line? Journalists faced with writing a story that F8 has
been released will be asking themselves, "What can I say that hasn't
already been said?" Believe me when I tell you, we are open to ideas.

Nicu's suggestion to contact the media with backstory information like
Iced Tea is a great one. For example, I read (here or on another
Fedora list) recently that some were disappointed that reviewers
didn't talk more about spins and suggested it might be a lack of
training or information. This is exactly the kind of information I'd
like to have as a tech journalist: an under-reported "feature" of F8
that brings something new to the table and that readers need to be
schooled in to know how to use.

Anyway, I never meant for this to be quite so long. I think this team
is doing a great job. You're all very dedicated and I wish  you the
best of luck in getting the word out about Fedora. If you've got any
questions, just give me a shout.

Lisa Hoover