Re: Fedora: Freedom is a Feature.

On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 18:58 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> While some languages like English have reused nice pre-existing words
> for the "CS feature" concept, others use terribly contrived bureaucratic
> words, and I suspect some do not even have any local word for "feature".
> It's just not important enough for the vast majority of world's
> population to justify wording. It's 100% CS jargon speak.

Not really ... the word 'feature' used in this way is pretty old.

        "A feature of Arts & Crafts bungalows is the large front porch
        with wide supporting columns."

        "A feature of your face is your nose."

Thus, the term is used to describe a thing that comes as part of a
complete set (house, face) and adds some unique characteristic (porch
and columns, nose).

Perhaps there is a word or term that is more similar to that meaning?

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, Developer Community Mgr.
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org