I still want a Fedora coffee table book, and you are going to help me make one.

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 11:34:06 UTC 2008

2008/12/15 Ian Weller <ianweller at gmail.com>:
> <braindump>
>
> An entire release ago (6 months) Jeff Spaleta made the proposal to this
> list[1] for Fedora to produce a (virtual?) coffee table book containing
> candid pictures of Fedora contributors all holding a specific trinket
> that could represent what the community stands for (perhaps something as
> simple as a Fedora logo) -- or with speech bubbles containing a single
> word that the contributor thinks encompasses the
> purpose/meaning/whatever of Fedora in their native language.

I stole this idea directly from "The Love Book" by Robert Rosenheck,
ISBN: 0028604458.

Find a copy of that book, flip through it.  We could sit around and
debate how to do this forever and never see it accomplished.  Someone
just have to start doing it.  If I were going to Fudcon I would just
do it. I'd get drunk the first night, cut out a cardboard speech
bubble Fedora logo shape about a foot in width, color it by hand, very
very sloppily, and then have people hold it up while I took candids of
them.

But I'm not going to make this Fudcon. So...I dare someone to do it. I
double dog dare them to do it. I don't care what the object is, I'm
not going to give people grief about it if they pick something
different that what I would have picked. Whoever thinks this is a good
idea and is going to Fudcon, just pick something fedora-ish...don't
try to be perfect about it...just pick it, shove it into people's
hands and take pictures of them before they let go of it.  4 or 5
people with cameras meet up the night before the first session, get
drunk, decide on an object, fabricate it, and go go go.  Collect
photos in a flickr account and get attendees to tag the photos.

Use this Fudcon and the resulting set of pictures as an experiment and
debate the do's and don'ts of future efforts at this using the
collected images as a reference.  It's okay if the representative
object changes later through debate, perfect is the enemy of good.
Don't miss the chance to try doing it this time with what you have on
hand.

-jef"Is tired of deciding to do things and just wants to do them"spaleta