ubuntu marketing

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 22:31:38 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 12:40 PM, Valent Turkovic
<valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Okay. And you actually belive that people won't install this just the
>  same but will be "pissed" that it is not easy to do it but they need
>  to "jump through hoops" and there are legal ways to do this.

If you can get firefox's plugin technology fixed such that it gives
users a choice as to which flash implementation to choose... you
should champion that.  A fedora specific fix isn't that interesting to
me.  But if you can convince firefox developers to extend how their
plugin technology works so our users or anyone's users can choose
between open and closed flash plugins..well then.. that's a win for
everyone.

>  Plus if you look at reviews of linux distributions most of them have a
>  category "How easy is it to go to youtube and watch videos" because
>  that is what desktop users do and expect from any desktop.

I'm not denying this. Open flash technology exists, you know about it,
you know its not as good as it could be. Put your passion into
figuring out how we can make that open technology better and legally
distributable. Hint: tying the open flash plugins to codeina and
enhancing codeina's capability to expose multiple open vendors. Get
people fired up about that.. not about including easy to grab
proprietary software.

-jef