What a G1G1 user wants from an alternate OS

Ed McNierney ed at laptop.org
Wed Dec 3 16:04:18 UTC 2008

Most "quick boot" systems are - at least in part - making a tradeoff
by slowing things down later.  I would not want to "succeed" with a
quick boot only to have people think the machine was slow because the
next 5 things they did took a long time.

I think we need to be careful about being sucked into the "quick boot"
ideal.  How often do you reboot your machines?  I just rebooted my
MacBook Pro this morning for the first time in several weeks, for a
software update.  It took over a minute to boot, and that fact has
been completely irrelevant to me as a user.  If we provide good
suspend/resume and power management support, users aren't going to
reboot very often.

I certainly agree that moving from a six-minute boot to a one-minute
boot makes a substantial difference in the user's perception of the
system (if not a difference in usability) and that's a very important
goal.  But striving for incremental improvements in boot time is, I
think, much less valuable to user than an excellent suspend/resume
experience (which my MacBook Pro does very well).

	- Ed