Adding new Activities via RPM

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Thu Nov 20 14:58:06 UTC 2008

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008, Bryan Kearney wrote:

> If you add a new activity via a yum update, you have to restart sugar
> for it to appear on the desktop (or, to appear on the list so you can
> put it on the desktop). Combine that with the fact there is no logout
> for Sugar, you are left with either a restart (reboot) or
> Ctrl-alt-backspace.
>
> I understand you can download .xo files from a website. Are these
> automatically added to the desktop? If so, is there some code or script
> which we can put in an rpm %post section to make them appear?

In Sugar, when you download an Activity, it shows up both in the Journal
and on the Launcher basically immediately -- but that's because it shows
up, I think, in the user's homedir.  Activities can run either from the
systemwide activity space -- which is where RPM puts them -- or the local
user space, which is where the activity goes when a user downloads it.

Not sure I've answered your question though, heh.

--g