New SoaS [XO-1] build soas70

Yioryos Asprobounitis mavrothal at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 30 08:56:45 UTC 2009

--- On Wed, 9/30/09, Martin Dengler <martin at martindengler.com> wrote:

> From: Martin Dengler <martin at martindengler.com>
> Subject: Re: New SoaS [XO-1] build soas70
> To: "Yioryos Asprobounitis" <mavrothal at yahoo.com>
> Cc: fedora-olpc-list at redhat.com
> Date: Wednesday, September 30, 2009, 4:31 AM
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 12:01:01AM
> -0700, Yioryos Asprobounitis wrote:
> > soas71xo.2gremovable: olpcrd.img symlink is missing
> from the /boot
> > folder
>
> This is by design.  The initrd olpc.fth asks for is
> /boot/initrd.img. olpcrd.img has not been used for a long
> time, and
> initrd.img is not necessary to boot the included kernel on
> the XO-1.

However, the olpc.fth points to \boot\initrd.img
Looks like a SoaS olpc.fth generated by liveCD-to-usb and tries to generate an overlay I think.

> > [...] resulting in kernel panic
>
> There should be no kernel panic due to a missing
> initrd.img.  Are you
> really trying to boot from the removable image?  Its
> olpc.fth looks
> fine to me.

I downloaded soas71xo.2gremovable.img.tar.lzma and then
cat soas71xo.2gremovable.tar.lzma | lzma -dc - | tar xf - -O > /dev/sda to a _USB_ stick (not SD card)

> Perhaps you could try to manually boot from the removable
> device:
>
> 1) Power on the XO-1 with the SD card in it
> 2) Press Esc to get to the OFW prompt
> 3) Check the SD card looks ok with "dir sd:\boot"
> 4) Boot from the SD card with these OFW commands:
>
> " ro root=LABEL=OLPCRoot rootwait" to boot-file
> " sd:\boot\vmlinuz" to boot-device
> setup-smbios
> boot
>

> What happens then?  Do you see the green and blue
> "sugarlabs" logo
> when the kernel messages appear?
>
> If you see a kernel panic about "can't find root device",
> try with
> this boot-file:
>
> " ro root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootwait" to boot-file
> [all the other commands the same]

This will have to wait for latter.
so the console=... etc parameters are not needed in the boot-file string?