[Fedora-packaging] Kernel modules packaged for dkms

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Mon Oct 9 13:31:49 UTC 2006

Jon Masters wrote :

> Having said that, I'd like to see DKMS being used on Fedora, just I
> think we can't expect everyone to have working toolchains installed.

Yeah, the packages pulled in by gcc (glibc-devel) and kernel-devel are
the main drawback. But, as much as I don't like installing anything
which isn't _really_ required on a system, since these 3rd party kernel
modules shouldn't be something everyone needs, and since the full kernel
sources aren't required nowadays (only the much smaller kernel-devel),
it's a "limited" drawback, that people wanting to install 3rd party
kernel modules should be willing to accept ;-)

Note that one can also use dkms to create rpm packages of the modules,
I haven't tried that, but it would add a layer of complexity to the
packaging and the build system. I definitely prefer keeping things as
simple as possible.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 5.92 (FC6 Test3) - Linux kernel 2.6.18-1.2726.fc6
Load : 1.60 1.40 1.24