[Fedora-packaging] Re: Re: iconcache, v0.5

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Mon Jan 1 14:14:35 UTC 2007

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 21:41:04 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
>

>>> It is a bug somewhere and the reason why gtk-update-icon-cache is executed
>>> in post-install scriptlets. It's the only way freshly installed icons show
>>> up in the GNOME desktop menu.
>>>
>> Running gtk-update-icon-cache is *not* the *only* way to see new icons.
>> touch'ing the top-level icon dir is (should be!) sufficient for that.
>>

> Yes, but it's a _manual operation_, because the last-modified time-stamp
> of that directory is not updated when a sub-directory is changed. And
> gtk-update-icon-cache doesn't do anything unless the top-level directory
> has changed (or is touched!). Hence running this stuff manually cannot be
> avoided so far.
No one has ever suggested that 'touch' could be avoided.  I don't think
it can, the icon spec requires it.
My point was that only 'touch' is required for proper function.
Contrary to what it appeared (to me anyway) you were asserting,
gtk-update-icon-cache is not required for proper function, being nothing
more than an optimization (akin to prelink).

-- Rex