[Fedora-packaging] Re: UTF-8 package names

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Feb 27 17:00:46 UTC 2008

Le Mer 27 février 2008 17:10, Axel Thimm a écrit :

> We violate this rule with capitalization,
> python/perl/php/.... packages and what not and we'll stick with an
> upstream's name that seems to want to ship its project only is certain
> locales?
>
> I would instead propose a rule that says "if the transliteration to
> ASCII can't be done by the packager, he should contact upstream to
> provide one and use that".

Nevertheless even if a transliteration can be found (and I agree with
you asking upstream is best as transliteration rules vary from country
to country and some like China even had different transliteration
styles at different points of time) that's no reason to restrict the
main package name (that is displayed in packagekit and various tools)
to this transliteration.

Most of us can understand SMS-speak. SMS-speak has various properties
that make it easier to type in some conditions. Would we like someone
to change our name to its SMS variant to make it easier on SMS users?
I guess not.

Transliteration should be strictly limited to a failover for users
that for some reason use the CLI and can not type the upstream name of
a package they need.

Capitalization is something else entirely. Capitalization is common
editorial work that makes a whole more pleasant by applying the same
conventions everywhere. It's a neutral transformation. Transliteration
to ASCII OTOH is a very violent transform, and probably offensive to
an upstream that chose an non-ASCII name.

And as Simo I don't buy the argument that since it's broken, it must
not be fixed.

--
Nicolas Mailhot