[Fedora-packaging] I wish to package some CC licensed content ...

Lyos Gemini Norezel lyos.gemininorezel at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 17:25:18 UTC 2009

steve wrote:
> Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
>> On 2009-02-17 at 20:08:35 -0500, steve <steve at lonetwin.net> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Most of my reading these days is done on my laptop[1]. This includes
>>> both tech (docs and tutorial types) as well as non-tech books.
>>>
>>> So, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw 'diveintopython' listed in my
>>> yum search listings (I was searching for comic book readers).
>>>
>>> I like the idea of being able to 'yum install' or 'yum search', or even
>>> 'yum groupinsatall' books (or any CC content for that matter, eg:
>>> music,
>>> video ..etc). If packaging such content is encouraged, I'd gladly
>>> package most of the CC content I've accumulated.
>>>
>>> Does Fedora has a policy or guideline about these things ?

Question... where would such content be installed?
In the users ~/music , ~/video, etc? or a system-wide location?

Seem, to me, like such content should be installed as a user, not root
(ie., seemingly impossible with yum), because not every user on a
given system will want said content.

On the other hand, if installed on a system-wide location, how do you
provide access to the ordinary (unprivileged) user?

>> With that said, if there is interest in doing this on a large scale, it
>> might be worth considering making a separate Fedora CC Content
>> Repository. I'll defer that decision to FESCo.
>
> Yes ! I do think, having a separate repo would be a good thing. Having
> it Fedora endorsed, might need consideration and a nod by the FESCo,
> though I think I'll start working on creating a yum repo and some
> packages with the cc content I have.
>
> regards,
> - steve
In this case, I happen to agree, though I question the use of yum to
provide such content (see above).

Lyos Gemini Norezel