[Fedora-packaging] code vs. content

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Nov 20 19:53:28 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 01:36:30PM -0600, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> To someone, the londonpictures thing is a hand-chosen set of great
> photographs [...]

I don't want to go on arguing about this, but really this is
different.

I'm not being an "art ponce" and having some fine art debate about the
londonpictures set.  Even I can see that there are massive technical
problems with them.

This one has obvious aliasing problems, as if it was resized without
using a decent scaling algorithm:

  http://annexia.org/tmp/londonpictures/londonpictures_01.jpg

This one is a picture of a dog litter bin, with a camera flash and the
photographer's shadow clearly visible:

  http://annexia.org/tmp/londonpictures/londonpictures_18.jpg

No one (sane) would choose these as great photographs.

So any argument around this particular set of photographs is going to
be based on a poor example.  I think it would be better to frame this
in terms of good photographs.  What if someone submitted a similar
package, but with photos like these:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Palace_of_Westminster.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:London_Eye,_London.JPG
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tube_station_2_cz.jpg

(Not just an RSS feed but a hand-picked selection of the best city
photos from Wikicommons).

Rich.

bindings from many languages.  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/
See what it can do: http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/recipes.html