Filtering lib provides in XS packages?

Chris Weyl cweyl at alumni.drew.edu
Sat Feb 28 20:02:01 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 4:36 AM, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:

> I do think that filtering these provides is the right thing to do but
> I'm not sure about the approach. Whilst it should be fine for a regular
> perl module package, it could cause problems for mixed-language
> packages where there are other valid provides that should be included
> but are not found by the perl provides script. An alternative approach
> for such cases would be, e.g.
>
> # don't provide the private XS.so lib
> %global _use_internal_dependency_generator 0
> %global provfind /bin/sh -c "%__find_provides | grep -v '^XS[.]so'"
> %global __find_provides %provfind

Yeah.  I was using as a simple case the filtering needed in
perl-Readonly-XS...  Others will be different, e.g. perl-Imager requires a
bunch filtered:

perl-Imager ==> CountColor.so()(64bit)
perl-Imager ==> DynTest.so()(64bit)
perl-Imager ==> Flines.so()(64bit)
perl-Imager ==> ICO.so()(64bit)
perl-Imager ==> Imager.so()(64bit)
perl-Imager ==> Mandelbrot.so()(64bit)
perl-Imager ==> SGI.so()(64bit)

The following snippet just filters any .so files under %perl_vendorarch from
being run through %__find_provides:

# don't "provide" private Perl libs
%global _use_internal_dependency_generator 0
%global provfind /bin/sh -c "grep -v '%perl_vendorarch.*\\.so$' |
%__find_provides"
%global __find_provides %provfind

Looking at just the packages installed on my system, I see 208 '*perl*'
packages providing shared libs; for 432 .so's.

http://fedorapeople.org/~cweyl/impacted_packages
http://fedorapeople.org/~cweyl/private_libs

                       -Chris
--