Autogenerating rpm requirements from egg requirements

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 18:05:45 UTC 2008

David Malcolm wrote:
> I ran into a problem with TurboGears packaging in EPEL5 where
> requirements in the requires.txt file in the egginfo subdirs were
> getting bumped upstream but without corresponding bumps in the rpm
> packaging, leading to yum failing to do all the upgrading I needed
> (filed as bug 451228 and 451231 so far).
>
> Has anyone tackled this problem?
>
> I had a go at trying to autogenerate the RPM metadata, I've attached my
> work-in-progress so far to bug 451228:
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=309225
>
> Thoughts?  Worth finishing and turning into something in a common
> location for rpmbuild?

Definitely worthwhile!

This should be brought up on fedora-devel or the rpm development lists
so that we can get something merged into our rpm scripts.

I think it might be cleaner to generate rpm virtual provides for these.
  Something like perl's virtual package provides or possibly ruby's
since ruby has both "normal" modules and "gem" modules:

python-sqlalchemy
Provides: pythonegg(SQLAlchemy) = %{version}
Provides: python(sqlalchemy) = %{version}

python-TurboGears
Provides: python(turbogears) = %{version}
Provides: pythonegg(TurboGears) = %{version}
Requires: pythonegg(SQLAlchemy) >- 0.3.11

We'd want to run these virtual provides by the packaging committee (I'll
take it there).  And try to get scripts that create them to rpm devel.

-Toshio