TurboGears Newbie Advice

Lloyd Kvam python at venix.com
Thu May 15 21:11:40 UTC 2008

The source code in the book is riddled with typos.  I don't know if the
downloads have been fixed.  The examples are useful.  There is very
little reference material.

I bought the book and have found it useful - to the extent I would buy
it again even knowing the problems.

The different component (cherrypy, sqlalchemy, etc.) websites generally
do a good job of documenting the details.  This book describes how the
pieces fit together.

It fails miserably as a reference.  A typical example: the expose
decorator is used to mark a method to be exposed as a URL.  The examples
show:
        @expose(template='myapp.templates.mytemp')
        def mymethod(self, **params):
However, if the template is determined at run time, you need to specify
that in the dictionary that is returned by the method.
        return dict(
                tg_template='myapp.templates.othertemp',

You'll figure out the the dictionary key is different from the expose
parameter name, but it would be nice if there were a few reference
summaries in the book to cover issues like that.

You will still be relying heavily on the different component web sites