TurboGears Newbie Advice

Luke Macken lmacken at redhat.com
Fri May 30 21:10:39 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 01:23:06PM -0700, John Poelstra wrote:
> Any recommended books or tutorials or other good ways to get started
> with TurboGears--beyond the tutorials at http://docs.turbogears.org/ ?
> The book by Mark Ramm, etc. gets really mixed reviews at Amazon.

I personally found Mark's TG book to be a great read, even though it
contains many typos.  It'll give you a good understanding of how
TurboGears is put together, and the components used (kid, SQLObject,
CherryPy) in the book will be supported for a long time.

However, TurboGears 1.1 is coming out soon, which replaces a lot of
the default components: kid->genshi, SQLObject->SQLAlchemy,
TG Widgets->ToscaWidgets.  For someone wanting to learn TurboGears,
I highly recommend diving into the 1.1 stack (which can already used
in any 1.0 application already).

There are a couple of SQLAlchemy books that are supposed to hit the
shelves next month.  One by Mark Ramm and one of the SQLAlchemy
developers, and an O'Reilly one (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596516147/).

Good luck!

luke