SELinux References/Books

max maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 19:53:38 UTC 2008

  I would prefer to get a desktop reference rather than having to refer
to online documents or the hardcopies of individual papers I have
printed off, many of which are also dated. In any case I feel like I
have learned enough that I can open a book on the subject of SELinux and
not get completely lost. It looks like I have basically two options :

SELinux by Example: Using Security Enhanced Linux (Prentice Hall Open
Source Software Development Series) by Frank Mayer, Karl MacMillan, and
David Caplan (Paperback - Aug 6, 2006)

SELinux: NSA's Open Source Security Enhanced Linux by Bill McCarty
(Paperback - Oct 11, 2004) - Illustrated

The first is more recent so I am leaning that way but I have seen
opinions that suggest even it is way out of date. I don't mind spending
money on a good book, reading is one of my favorite past times, but I
don't want anything so dated that it won't serve as a decent reference
for the near future (next year or so). I understand nothing is going to
be up to the minute.  Should I purchase one? or are they too out of date
to even serve as good references? This is definitely something I am
interested in learning about or I wouldn't bother to ask. Suggestions
and advice from all corners of reality welcome.

Max

--
An unwillingness to embarrass oneself makes learning more difficult