selinux prob - can't log in via X/gdm

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Sat Apr 3 06:30:58 UTC 2004

Niilo Kajander wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 08:57, J. Scott Farrow wrote:
>

>>Since my last round of yum updates on test2 last night, I'm completely
>>unable to log in via X, either as my normal user, or as root.  I'm now
>>running kernel-2.6.4-1.300 and policy-1.9.2-1.
>>

>If you can log in as root on console, try adding SELINUX=permissive to
>/etc/sysconfig/selinux. Don't worry if that file doesn't exist, as it
>didn't on my test box ("upgraded" from development version). After
>creating that file I rebooted and things started working normally.
>

>>I've tried reloading the policies as Daniel suggested earlier, and also
>>tried running fixfiles, but it doesn't seem to be having an effect.  Gdm
>>still claims the home directory for both root and my normal login don't
>>exist.  /var/log/messages is filled with avc:denied errors such as:
>>
>>Apr  1 18:19:48 pontifex kernel: audit(1080868788.135:0): avc:  denied
>>{ getattr } for  pid=1732 exe=/bin/bash path=/home/sfarrow dev=hde4
>>ino=32513 scontext=system_u:system_r:xdm_t
>>tcontext=system_u:object_r:user_home_dir_t tclass=dir
>>
>>I thought I had read that running 'fixfiles' was the approved way to
>>reset these types of issues.  I definitely need to do more reading on
>>SElinux, as I'm obviously missing something.  Any suggestions for a
>>quick fix would be appreciated.

You can temporarily turn off SELinux enforcing mode by
setenforce 0
setenforce 1 turns it back on.

So if SELinux gets in the way of you completing a task, for now turn it
off, do the task, grab the avc messages and report it back to us.

You can also use

audit2allow -l -i /var/log/messages to translate the denial messages
into selinux rules.