alsa mute

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Fri Apr 30 13:58:16 UTC 2004

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 10:36:58 -0300, Ben Steeves wrote:

> I resolved the "alsa problem" by creating a short script:

What you refer to as "alsa problem" is a potential bug in Fedora Core
1.9x. Rather than creating scripts to work around it, it should be
investigated and fixed, so it won't be in Fedora Core 2.

> alsactl restore
> gnome-alsamixer
> alsactl store
>
> And linked it to a launcher on my panel (using the same icon as for the
> volume control).  This makes sure that my levels and settings are always
> what I expect them to be (and if something screws them up, a single
> click to bring up the volume control gets them back to my preferred
> setting).

The "halt" initscript should store mixer settings with alsactl when you
shut down or reboot your system. And /etc/modprobe.conf restores the
mixer settings when the ALSA kernel modules are loaded. It should just
work.

Do you have the alsactl calls in those files?