where are libgimp and libgimpui?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 18 13:57:09 UTC 2004

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> > > Grrrr. You've crippled your yum.conf file. The Fedora Core 1.90 base
> > > channel is missing and hence The Gimp 1.2.5:
> > >
> > > $ rpm --redhatprovides libgimp-1.2.so.0 libgimpui-1.2.so.0
> > > gimp-1.2.5-1
> > > gimp-1.2.5-1
> >
> > i don't agree with your diagnosis.
>
> I disagree with yours. Now what?

  ok, while i peruse your response, let me ask a much simpler question: if
i start with a pristine install of FC2-test1, does there even exist a
channel against which i can run "yum update" to update just those RPMs
that have been fixed and for which newer versions have been released to
respond to bug reports in the original FC2-test1?

  as it stands, the pristine install contains the single active channel in
/etc/yum.conf:

[development]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - Development Tree
baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/$basearch/

  am i allowed to run a general "yum update" against this channel?  or is
it only for updating specific RPMs that i select explicitly?  if i'm not
supposed to do a "yum update" based on the original yum.conf file, that's
cool, i just want to know that.  and i just want to know what my options
*are* for updating.

  and i'm still curious as to why those originally inactive channels in
/etc/yum.conf refer to non-existent URLs:
#[base]
#name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
#baseurl=http://fedora.redhat.com/releases/fedora-core-$releasever

#[updates-released]
#name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
#baseurl=http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/released/fedora-core-$releasever

#[updates-testing]
#name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Unreleased Updates
#baseurl=http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/testing/fedora-core-$releasever

  near as i can tell, those URLs don't exist, so what's their purpose
in that file?

rday