FC2 test1 and KVM switch

Rick Johnson rjohnson at medata.com
Sun Feb 15 19:13:39 UTC 2004

Gene C. wrote:
> OK, I know, I know that Red Hat does not support the use of KVM switches.
>
> But, some of use depend on them.
>
> Is anyone experiencing problems with FC2 test1 and a KVM switch.
>
> I am using a Belkin 4 port Omni Cube and have had zero problems with it and
> previous releases.  With FC2 test1, when I first install and boot the system
> up everything works fine.
>
> However, if I switch to another system and then back to the FC2 test1 system,
> the mouse starts jumping all over the screen.  The keyboard and monitor seem
> to work fine.
>
> The mouse is a PS2 interface Logitech TrackMan Wheel.
>
> Anyone else seeing this (or positively NOT seeing it)?

This has been a problem since Red Hat 7.whatever. The issue is with the
IMPS/2 mouse driver. I've found that switching away from the TTY and
back to it almost always clears it up. i.e. Ctrl+Alt+F8, then Alt+F7 (or
Ctrl+Alt+F7). This is a "workaround" I've lived with when using any
Belkin/Dlink/etc. KVM based on the same basic chipset with almost any
Linux and the IMPS/2 driver. That, or you can switch to a different
mouse driver (i.e. PS/2) and expect "normal" behavior.

HTH,
-Rick

Rick Johnson, RHCE #807302311706007 - rjohnson at medata.com
Linux/Network Administrator - Medata, Inc. (from home)