xorg install - X won't start completely

Tom Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 25 01:34:22 UTC 2004

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 12:38:12AM -0500, TGS wrote:
> Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 00:38:12 -0500
> From: TGS <spam at tachegroup.com>
> To: "fedora-test-list at redhat.com" <fedora-test-list at redhat.com>
> Subject: Re: xorg install - X won't start completely
>
> Not sure that this will help, but I had to do the following to get past the
> black screen and the hung rhgb boot process.
>
> 1 - add in the /usr/X11R6/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf

Which is correct or when did /etc/ld.so.conf.d arrive.

I found an ld.so.conf.rpmnew file that I had not disposed of (my date,
March 8). It has one line:

  include ld.so.conf.d/*.conf

Is this the new or an old way and if new then would adding
/usr/X11R6/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf.d/X11R6.conf be better.

> 2 - do a ldconfig -v

I get numerous non X11 errors:
Is there a general way to clean these up?
    # ldconfig -v | grep cannot
    ldconfig: Can't stat /usr/lib/qt-3.1/lib: No such file or directory
    ldconfig: Can't stat /usr/lib/qt-3.2/lib: No such file or directory
    ldconfig: Cannot stat /usr/lib/libnetsnmp.so: No such file or directory
    ldconfig: Cannot stat /usr/lib/libnetsnmpagent.so: No such file or directory
    ldconfig: Cannot stat /usr/lib/libnetsnmphelpers.so: No such file or directory
    ldconfig: Cannot stat /usr/lib/libnetsnmpmibs.so: No such file or directory
    ldconfig: Cannot stat /usr/lib/libsnmp.so: No such file or directory

	T o m  M i t c h e l l