nvidia driver kernel 2.6.9 667

Ricardo Veguilla veguilla at hpcf.upr.edu
Sat Nov 6 01:51:41 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-05 at 18:36 -0700, Kim Lux wrote:
> If you are implying that the Nvidia driver installs without source, you
> are partially wrong in the general and totally wrong in this case.  The
> Nvidia driver DOES install without kernel source code on common kernels,
> ie ones that the Nvidia team has compiled a kernel for and included in
> the install pack.

The nvidia installer includes pre-compiled modules for the kernels
shipped with most distributions, that is correct. But the nvidia
installer can compile the module without the kernel source installed.

> However, if you read the driver fine print, you will find that if your
> kernel version isn't supported, you need to have kernel source installed
> in order to build the kernel.  That is precisely what the Nvidia
> "install" tool does.

Did you try? I used to regularly compile the nvidia modules (before the
2.6.9 kernel) without the kernel-source RPM installed (which I've never
installed in my system).

Regards,
--
Ricardo Veguilla <veguilla at hpcf.upr.edu>