What I hope is not in FC3

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Nov 8 01:31:49 UTC 2004

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-11-06 at 22:42 -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 22:32:54 -0500, Jim Cornette
>><fct-cornette at insight.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>>>5) not being able to do a normal graphical installation, without special
>>>parameters issued before the install.
>>
>>"normal" ?  I think your definition of "normal" has to be different than mine.
>>Because i can certaintly do a "normal" graphical installation with no
>>extra parameters on my "normal" hardware [...]
>

> As can I. I've done graphical installs even on a Pentium Pro (200MHz)
> with 64MB of RAM and a 1GB hard drive (just last week), and have done
> them flawlessly on dozens if not hundreds of other (usually faster)
> computers before. Been doing them since at least RHL-9, too.
>
> What your problem is, I have no idea... but I can assure you that I and
> many, many, *many* computers do not share it.
>
> Cheers,

As mentioned in the reply to Jef, this is a new requirement because of
newly added breakage regarding the particular chipset. I have tried
several other computers that use different hardware, with success. One
of them also uses the i810 driver and works better now than before FC3
was developed. Actually, the computer with the 865G Graphics controller
works much more reliably than with FC2 and even FC3T1.

My hope was that most computers will install without the need for
special options. Since this issue was not mentioned in the release notes
(Or I missed reading the portion while reading the release notes), this
might catch a lot of people that install the more popular final
releases. It would be bad to get poor feedback from masses of people
having the installer bug out, whn their previous installations were
pretty much flawless when using previous releases.

I'm for FC3 and realize that it is a great work, though some things
might catch users by surprise, with a negative outlook from expectations.

Jim

--
I read the newspaper avidly.  It is my one form of continuous fiction.
		-- Aneurin Bevan