/usr has vanished completely!

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sat Nov 27 05:39:02 UTC 2004

I wrote before that also xorg-x11 seems to be goner after recent
updates.  A closer examination reveals that this is not precisely
true.  A check in logs shows that because of a confusion of mounts
created by initscripts X cannot find any fonts so it does not start.
The only problem is that instead of returning with a failure X holds
to a keyboard and sits there doing nothing.  Courtesy if initscripts
sshd also did not start, even if had a network up, so I could not
reach buggered out machine over a network as well.

Booting to level 1, cleaning up all that mess done by a startup, and
then doing 'telinit 5' does work.  Until you shovel out that junk
things like 'mount' or 'df' have no chance to work correctly.

I guess that I will submit a bugzilla report tommorow unless
somebody will be faster (which I do not mind at all :-).

   Michal