Averatec Laptop Useless Under FC3RC1

D Canfield canfield at uindy.edu
Wed Oct 27 18:24:23 UTC 2004

Michal Jaegermann wrote:

>>- Try the install a third time using the text mode installer.  Install
>>succeeds, but...
>>- Upon reboot, when the graphical grub should be displayed, the screen
>>goes blank,
>>

>I have not a clue about your laptop but you mean here 'rhgb' or
>a grub menu?  If it is rhgb which gives you troubles then you
>can hit 'a' on grub screen and replace 'rhgb' boot option with '3'.
>What then?  What about '1' instead of '3' (and no 'rhgb' of course).
>Or maybe just dropping rhgb is enough (the same as replacing 'rhgb'
>with '5' for a default installation).
>
>Once you booted to a shell prompt it is always easier to try
>figure out what next and how to start X.  If you can install in
>a text mode then you can surely boot to at least level 3.
>
>If it is really a grub menu then this is mighty weird as there is
>really nothing "graphical" at this moment yet.  What if you will
>boot into a rescue and comment out "splash" from your grub.conf?  It
>is there only to make things "pretty".
>
>   Michal

I truly mean grub.  As in, the machine says "loading grub stage2..." (if
I remember correctly) and then instantly black-screens.  There is no
grub menu where I could change the runlevel or anything.  I'm guessing
whatever issue this is, is a VESA-level issue of some kind.

FWIW, lspci under FC2 says this is a VIA VT8378 [S3 UnivChrome] video card.