A rant regarding LILO and various other related issues

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Fri Apr 15 14:48:34 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-14-04 at 21:43 -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Guy Fraser <guy at incentre.net> said:
> > On Wed, 2005-13-04 at 22:49 -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> > > And how is that one bit different than if you use LILO?
> >
> > Err
>
> In other words, no answer.

Wrong. It was to represent a sound.

You are obviously set in your doctrine, it would not make
a difference if LILO pages of information about the error,
you would never agree that the documentation and error
reporting of GRUB Legacy are overtly deficient.

> > > Yes, big whoop.  Real servers are not always at hand and don't always
> > > have a rescue disk available.  With LILO you are stuck if there is a
> > > problem during boot, while with GRUB you have a command line that you
> > > can try some things (and work around different types of issues).
> >
> > FUD
>
> How is that FUD?  I have given real world examples of why GRUB having a
> command line should not be dismissed lightly.  I've fixed non-booting
> computers remotely with a serial console (at 115200, which LILO can't
> do) at the GRUB prompt.

The whole time I was having problems, nobody told me how to
access this command line, you talk about. As mentioned
before I kept getting Error 15. I seem to remember reading
about the command line, but was never able to get into it.
When does the command line become available before stage 1,
1.5, 2 or after stage 2, I believe Error 15 is generated
during stage 2, but was never even told that by anyone
who was willing to help.

I really don't give half a toot, about the command line or
115200 baud console. It is of no interest to me. Any of the
servers we have that require such access have hardware that
provides those features. You use tsclient to access the
hardware at 10MBps and can boot the system from images on
a tftp server, or upload the image up to 2.88MB. We have
test the system and were able to completely install an OS
from scratch after spending about 5 minutes configuring the
BIOS. We would never rely on GRUB to perform these tasks
with what we have seen to date.