Up2date not being maintained any longer?

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Apr 7 11:19:10 UTC 2005

Scott wrote:
> Don Russell wrote:
>
>> Jim Cornette wrote:
>>
>>> Is up2date still getting any attention?
>>

>> I'd be happy if up2date just went away altogether.
>>
>> I've always had problems with it not finding updates, even though it
>> reports there are xx updates available and the little red ball is
>> glowing nicely...
>>
>> I know, I know, it's related to mirrors and who's in sync when etc.
>>
>> But yum is so much more convenient...
>>     - easily added to daily/nightly cron so it's done automagically
>>     - automatically tries different mirrors as needed
>>     - simple command line entry "does it all": (as root)
>>         yum -y update
>>
>> The ONLY thing up2date does that I like over yum, is up2date prompts
>> me for the root password as needed. yum just chokes and dies, it's
>> last words are "Help meeeeee, I'm not root..." :-)
>>
>> So, su -c "yum -y up2date" and I'm back in business.
>>
>> I like yum. It took me a while to start using it though... so thanks
>> to up2date for being such a PITA, I learned a better way. :-)
>>
>> The little ball is cute.... keep that. :-)
>>
>> Don Russell
>>

>    Not wanting to start a religious war,  But though I think yum is
> excellent, I still prefer up2date.  I find myself wanting to know "what
> the heck that package is" and with up2date I just highlight the
> package.  With yum on the other hand, I do a check-update, followed by
> an info, followed by an update, each time I need to download .repo files
> look at dependencies etc. etc.
>
>    The 2 packages are about equal in finding mirrors that aren't ready :-)
>
>    Of course since either yum or up2date gets broken from time to time,
> I think it's nice to have both.
>
> Scott

For yum, it would be nice if you could yum -y update and get the
updates. The problem is that it had over 100 rpms that it could
successfully update if it would do its best. Up2date does the same
thing, so not really an up2date vs. yum issue. With a customized and
manually edited script, I could get yum to do what I wanted by using the
information related to what up2date was trying to install.

I use both up2date and yum for retrieving packages. Up2date is broken
somewhere between displaying the excluded packages list and going onto
regular rpms for selection. It has been this way with several bugs filed
against it being broken. I was just wondering if it was left broken and
concentration was being pushed onto pup or another update/dep resolver
program.

Jim

--
Delta: We never make the same mistake three times.   -- David Letterman