PVcreate in extended logical partitions

Darwin H. Webb thethirddoorontheleft at verizon.net
Fri Dec 9 02:54:38 UTC 2005

Hello, :)

After months of reading about LVM I finally found a blog with 2 guys
going back and forth about doing a PVCREATE on an extended logical
partition (hd5 and greater).

The one guy saying it could be done kept using the wrong terms, but the
second guy kept at him to use the correct terms and finally is was
resolved when the second guy could do a PVCREATE (and subsequently a
VGcreate and LVcreate) after he had re-booted.

The problem was that the partition table was not being (written) and
re-loaded.

They both had different distro's and different tools set versions.

So I would like someone to verify that the anaconda install routine
using the disk druid graphic partitioner can create LVM items on the
extended logical partitions because when I used it a few months ago in
FC4 it would not let me create one.

My thinking is that the GUI (disk druid) and selected items are all in
memory and have not actually happened until the user is finished and
then the partitioning is re-loaded, then the LVM and formating is done
via commands and occurs very quickly.

It is very important that the disk druid be able to partition and set
LVM for any arrangement.

Please try it and report back.

thank you,

Darwin Webb