Fedora Core 4 Test Update

Brian Millett bmillett at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 03:17:27 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 15:42 -0600, Stephen J. Smoogen wrote:
> On 7/19/05, Brian Millett <bmillett at gmail.com> wrote:
> > After todays test update of thunderbird & firefox, I have lost the text
> > for both.  All that shows up is the "_" under the menu items.  All text
> > in the display is also blank.  Had to fire up evolution to post this :-(
> > Any idea where to look?
> >
> > I've rolled back a rev and that did not change anything.  Mozilla works
> > just fine.
> >

> The only time I have seen this problem is where thunderbird and
> firefox were running when I did the update.. and they werent killed
> afterwords. Check to see if you have an old version of thunderbird or
> firefox running.. what happened for me was that if I clicked on the
> icons or ran from the command line this old version was what was
> forking the new screens. The files that it had opened for the menus no
> longer existed and so it does a _. Doing a kill of the parent packages
> or if they wouldnt die a reboot fixed the problem for me.

Thanks.  It sounds exactly as what happened.  Both were open at the
time.  I noticed the problem after the upgrade as I moved the mouse to
select from a menu.
I did have a /usr/lib/firefox-1.0.3 directory around after I removed
1.0.6.  I nuked that.  I'll remove both again.  Reboot and reinstall.
A bit brute force, but I've never seen this before so I'll try force for
now.
--
Brian Millett - [ Elric and Sheridan, "The Geometry of Shadows"]
"Every day you here create greater miracles than the burning bush."