mkfs.ext3 on 500GB drive

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Sun Jun 26 16:04:02 UTC 2005

Justin Conover wrote:

>On 6/26/05, Peter Arremann <loony at loonybin.org> wrote:
>

>>On Sunday 26 June 2005 00:00, Justin Conover wrote:
>>

>>>Well, I think your right, I plugged it into my wifes windows box and
>>>ntfs failed to format it too, guess I'll be calling LaCie. I thought
>>>these were supposed to be good drives.....
>>>

>>>From what I know of them, they usually work pretty well - don't blame the
>>manufacturer too much for a bad harddisk... most likely it got damaged while
>>shipping or so - well after LaCie did their functionality testing.
>>
>>Peter.
>>
>>--
>>

>Well, I registered it today and looks like you can only call from M-F,
>so I'll be calling tomorrow.
>
>Once I get a new one or how ever they do this, how do you recommend
>formating a 500GB drive.  Do you just use standard mkfs.ext3 or do you
>increase the inode size or anything else.  Any recommendations?  I'm
>going to see if they will send me the usb 2.0 instead of just
>firewire, so I will see how that goes.
>
>Thanks for your help.

Using mkfs.ext3 without any special arguments should work just fine.
The only thing you might consider is changing the options for the
superblocks to improve efficiency.  Just have a look at the man page for
mkfs and see what interests you.  Many options can be changed later with
tune2fs.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com