process hangs on 13xx smp kernels

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Wed Jun 1 16:56:53 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 01 June 2005 00:38, Jonathan Deitch wrote:
> Umm ...
>
> That's not going to help my problem, unforunately,
>
> In my case, it finishes booting and you have no keyboard, no mouse, and
> no network.
>
> So no way to log in, no way to get to a console, no way to do anything.
>
> So ... any other ideas?
>
> I have this problem on every single 2.6.9 and 2.6.11 smp kernel that's
> been released, on both FC3 and FC4T3.  Nothing has helped - no kernel
> parms, nothing.
>
> I'm very very close to getting frustrated enough where I'm going to have
> to dump fedora, if there's not some kind of a solution soon.

I had a problem like this on a Dell 340.  With the 2.6 UP kernel, the keyboard
and mouse worked fine but with the 2.6 SMP kernel, nothing ... the solution
(with kernel => 2.6.10) was to specify the kernel parameter usb-handoff

About disabling USB legacy support in the BIOS ... not an option on the Dell
340.
--
Gene