<4> post_create: setxatter failed

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Wed May 25 08:08:59 UTC 2005

On Monday 23 May 2005 20:58, Dan Hollis <goemon at anime.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 May 2005, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > If you want to use reiserfs, by all means be my guest. Some people only
> > think they have performance gains with it, others really do. Reiserfs in
> > fedora tends to be "lightly tested" at best though, so make sure you test
> > it hard yourself before going into production.
>
> For us its not a question of 'only thinking'. We actually tested it and
> got clear performance wins.
>
> We tested ext3, jfs, xfs, and reiserfs.
>
> For us reiserfs is the clear winner for ISP workloads.

Does it work correctly as a root file system?

The following extract from reiserfsck(8) indicates that it won't:

       --rebuild-tree
              This option rebuilds the entire filesystem tree using leaf nodes
              found  on the device.  Normally you only need this option if the
              reiserfsck  --check  reports  "Running  with  --rebuild-tree  is
              required".  You are strongly encouraged to make a backup copy of
              the whole partition before attempting the --rebuild-tree option.
              Once  reiserfsck  --rebuild-tree  is  started it must finish its
              work (and you should not interrupt it), otherwise the filesystem
              will  be  left in the unmountable state to avoid subsequent data
              corruptions.

> Our reiserfs results interested a business partner of ours who used
> to swear by ext3. They also found out reiserfs was better all round for
> them so they are also switching.

Unless of course they want to do some common file system recovery options such
as putting an image of a file system on another file system.  The last
reports were that if you put a Reiser3 image as a regular file in a Reiser3
file system then fsck would really mess things up.

> The only real caveat for reiserfs at the moment is the lack of selinux
> support.

How is it lacking?  In a quick test it seems to work.