Broken deps in rawhide reports; Participate in improving docs

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 15:12:13 UTC 2005

On 11/5/05, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was just wondering if the Fedora development tree users are noticing
> the information about unsatisfied dependencies near the bottom of the
> reports or would it make more sense to move it to the top for it to get
> more attention?

I don't think location in the report is the problem. I think the
problem is, new testers who jump into rawhide and get dependency
errors don't know the reports exist at all and do not look over the
list archives before posting and asking for help.  Once informed about
the reports, it seems like people start reading them.

The real question is..... what are people reading when they are making
the decision to eat rawhide.. and can we get the daily reports tied in
to those locations.

> What about adding references to the following links with short blurbs
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/TestingGuide
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugsAndFeatureRequests

They are probably worth adding.. but the report is already pretty
long... and adding references has a certain opportunity cost. If the
report is already too long for people to read all the way through as
you conjecture, adding references might be self-defeating.  Do you put
them at the beginning.. making them more important than all other
information in the report. Or do you put them at the end, making them
least important? Whatever you choose as least important will be read
by less people.

> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/TestingGuide

One comment about this page, the "do not do" section should be re-structured.
It will read much better, and be better received by incoming people if
you can find a way to turn that "do not" list into a list of "do's"
instead.  It's a stupid human psychology trick.  Last year when I
drafted my personal testing manifesto I tried very hard to avoid the
"do do this" list and tried instead to make a list of best practises
responsibilities.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JefSpaleta/TestingManifesto
Mines way to verbose, but i think it strikes a more welcoming tone.

-jef