yum broken dep default behaviour

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Nov 25 21:42:57 UTC 2005

Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-11-25 at 19:23 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>

>>>If not then that is exactly correct behavior. Just b/c you have a broken
>>>dep somewhere else doesn't mean you can't make these packages over here
>>>work.
>>>

>>I think what Rudolf Kastl is looking for is a equivalent to apt-get -f
>>install.
>

> Having an *intelligent* --fix-broken type of operation somewhere in
> yum/yum-utils would be indeed nice. Apt's -f mode occasionally decides
> to remove half the system because that one totally irrelevant package
> has broken dependencies :-/

Sometimes, that's a good path to fixing the system:-) Unless you're
downloading through a modem, in which case I've preferred the broken system.

I've had apt-get wanting to remove all of kde. Doing that, then
installing kde can get your kde fixed: I had a right mess in woody
because it was so old, and I'd used apt-get.org to find newer almost
everything, or so it seemed.

> Maybe package-cleanup --problems could have an additional option of
> suggesting fixes to the problems or something.

suggesting fixes is good. Offering to fix them (as apt-get does) would
be better, especially if it can find alternatives (eg upgrade to newer,
downgrade to older, reinstate former state).

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait