x86-64 rawhide update obnoxiousness

Paul Jakma paul at dishone.st
Sun Oct 16 13:02:52 UTC 2005

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, Panu Matilainen wrote:

> Get over it, yum isn't forcing anything, you can't even tell it to
> force anything! The same thing happens with rpm-cli as well: when
> you install/upgrade both the i386 and x86_64 packages
> simultanously, rpm "swallows" file conflicts between multilib
> packages.

Aha. Thanks for explaining that. I've only ever noticed it with yum
because yum does multi-lib, and hence it's always been use of yum
which has lead to file clobbering due to multi-arch packaging errors.

Apologies for maligning yum so. ;)

> Whether that's a sane thing to do is another question.

It's dangerous / not sane IMHO.

The worst case I had was where some key arch-dependent glibc files
got clobbered (FCtest days) - rescue CD time. I'd really much rather
have packaging deficiencies get flagged, and have rpmlib (and hence,
very indirectly, yum) refuse to install them than risk important
stuff being clobbered.

Could it be changed? :)

regards,
Fortune:
  Fry: Hey, why are those kids following you? Do you have candy stuck to your ass?