CDs mount to volume name

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 23:02:11 UTC 2006

On 2/8/06, Michal Jaegermann <michal at harddata.com> wrote:
> No, it is not difficult for _me_.  OTOH in the real life I had to
> deal, not once and not twice, with some who one would think should
> know better but exactly changes in how things are getting mounted
> created for them serious obstacles.

The examples used in this discussion involved AMANDA. If you are
forced to learn enough to use AMANDA effectively... doing a mount on
the cli is trivial in comparison....trivial.

> > Last time I checked(3 minutes ago) you
> > can do your own mounts as needed no matter what the desktop
> > automounter is doing.
>
> In other words you are telling now that we simply should ignore
> automounter.

If you are forced to use programs that do not understand how to take
advantage of hal and dbus for themselves... yes.   Or you could learn
to interface with dbus like gnome's automounter does  and add that
functionality to whatever programs you need.

> Maybe a partially good advice but why we needed it
> then in the first place?
D-E-S-K-T-O-P

>This is actually is a pretty bad idea in
> case of USB devices as you do not know in advance which device you
> will get (it is enough to disconnect and reconnect and it may move)
> so your claim that you can edit fstab in advance fails flat on its
> face.
Learn to interface with hal in your scripted actions. If you want to
automate actions regardless of desktop state... learn to use the same
infrastructure gnome's automounter uses to assign mountpoints.

> Now assume that a user has a script to scp some files from a USB key
> to a remote machine (this is a real life example and even "mission
> critical").  We will have tons of fun to handle that.

Scripted actions.. should parse the information from hal for itself
and do mounts as the script requires for self-consistency.

> Other consequence is that 'eject' command for non-root stops
> working.  Quite nasty.  Even if you "double mounted" your CD then
> the other mount is still active and you will not have an access to
> it as it is not in fstab.

learn about FUSE and get ready for a whole new level of complexity
that breaks your historical intepretation of how this is all suppose
to work.

-jef