KDE update - no testing period?

D Canfield canfield at uindy.edu
Mon Feb 6 14:34:52 UTC 2006

John Summerfied wrote:

>> My goal is not to bash the project here.  I'm just saying that I for
>> one am totally lost as to what direction the project is headed in,
>> and based on the amount of back and forth conversation on this list,
>> it seems a lot of people are in the same boat.  Is there some vast
>> repository of design goal and policy documents that I'm missing
>> somewhere?
>

> I reiterate, the Fedora Project is for testing and evaluating new
> technologies. If you can't deal with that, then it's not for you. If
> you insist on using Fedora Project but want to reduce the hazards,
> keep on the release prior to the latest: advance to FC4 when FC5 is out.

 From http://fedora.redhat.com/About/:

"Why should I use Fedora?
Because Fedora is the best collection of *stable* and *innovative*
software available in the open source world."

That doesn't say to me "rolling beta" or  "...the Fedora Project is for
testing and evaluating new technologies. If you can't deal with that,
then it's not for you."

And that's the point I'm trying to make.  If the project is truly a
"rolling beta" as you put it, then why have releases at all?  And why
recruit users at all (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors)?  If
everyone is happy to make Fedora a constantly moving target, that's
perfectly fine.  I just think if the goals were more clearly stated and
understood, it would help answer a number of questions, such as the one
that started this thread.

DC