FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Thu Jan 26 21:44:56 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 17:39, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> ... because its not so good.
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2006-January/msg01138.html.
> Tell me on what occasions would a end user need it?

Pray tell, just who are these mythical 'end users' of which you go on
and on about?  This is Fedora under discussion, not RHEL.  Fedora is
quasi stable and short lived, I'd never suggest it for an 'end user.'

I really think an install with a single "are you sure you didn't
accidentally boot this CD?" before doing everything fully automated
would be considered the 'perfect zenlike state' by many.  I'll be gone
long before then though.

This seems to be yet another example of the long trend of
'defeaturization'.  Attempts to call it a resource allocation issue fail
when considered in the light of another post you made:

> > You could argue that Everything installs are targeted at testers and
> > developers.
>
> Then it can be enabled only during test/development releases.

So you consider it worth maintaining, but wish to supress the display of
the option in final releases.  That implies additional effort to switch
it on and off, all in the persuit of some vague effort at avoiding
confusion among these mythical 'end users'.

Perhaps some attention should be directed toward defining the future
userbase being targeted.  Then we can all know if we are or are not in
that target population and can know whether to bother arguing.

And for the record, of late I always do an everything install at least
once.  Often finding new software that I would not otherwise have even
known about.  Wouldn't put an everything install into service, except as
a buildhost, but it is handy.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris     This post is 100% M$Free!