Password Changing for Normal User

Uno Engborg uno at webworks.se
Wed Mar 1 16:20:36 UTC 2006

Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that there is no menu entry in
> GNOME for a user to change their own password in FC5T3? That means they
> have to know to use the passwd command at the CLI. I think this is
> rather odd since there is a menu entry available to change the root
> password (System --> Administration --> Root Password).
>
> Am I just not finding this or is it a bug? If so, should I Bugzilla?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris

You find it as a button in the new "About Me" dialog.
("Desktop->Preferences->About Me")

This makes no sense what so ever, espesially since the about
me stuff is something local to the machine, while passwords
often are stored in LDAP or NIS. This about me dialog would
have made a lot more sense if it had been backed by LDAP or
whatever system you specify in e.g.  /etc/nsswitch.conf.

As for the Desktop->Administration->Root Password, and other
menus in the Desktop->Administration submenu, I think they should
be hidden from  ordinary users, unless these users actually can use
them in the capacity of being a sudoer. However, as far as I know
sudo doesn't help. You always have to enter the root password to
change things in the Administration submenu.

Regards
Uno Engborg