Network Manager with madwifi drivers

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Mar 9 17:32:02 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 06:13 -0800, Brian Anderson wrote:
> As documented in bug 180369, NetworkManager stopped connecting my
> madwifi wireless card after the change from NetworkManager-0.5.1-8 to
> NetworkManager-0.5.1-10. I use the CVS versions of the madwifi drivers.
> I use WEP for authorization.
>
> Today I downloaded the SRPM for NetworkManager-0.6.0-2 and removed the
> special-case-madwifi.patch and built the binary.  This version of NM can
> connect to my madwifi card.  The patch is trying to work around a WPA
> problem in the madwifi drivers.  My question is has the fix for WPA
> broken WEP?

Are you using madwifi drivers, of the madwifi-ng drivers?
wpa_supplicant must be compiled for one or the other, and right now its
compiled for madwifi-ng.  So if you're not using madwifi-ng, NM +
wpa_supplicant won't work for your card.

In general though, madwifi-ng has been _very_ touchy, with every other
revision of the drivers being pretty much useless.  Not sure about the
older madwifi drivers though.

Dan