shortcut to new shell opened behind the first one ....

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Mar 12 10:13:25 UTC 2006

Uno Engborg wrote:
> Larry tb skrev:
>
>> When using shortcut ctrl shift N, to open a new shell, the new shell
>> is opened BEHIND the actual one.
>> Is it a new fonction ?
>> Not very useful is it ?
>

> Every new window is opened behind the shell.  Try to type open sabayon,
> by typing the
> command from a shell, and you will find that the sabayon window is
> completely covered
> by the shell from which it was opened. In fact it made me think sabayon
> was broken
> as nothing seamed to happen.
>
> I think that they did it this way to prevent opening windows from
> grabbing the user input,
> something that could be serious if the user is typing a password.
> However that situation is very rare and I think this should be regarded
> as a bug.

With the old behaviour it's disturbingly common for a dialogue to pop up
and steal keystrokes. It's perfectly possible for a dialogue to be
dismissed (by the user pressing the space-bar) before it's read - that
has happened to me, and depending on the dialogue perhaps to result in
other wrong actions.

KDE has been doing this for years, and once I became accustomed to it, I
think I've only found it inconvenient once or twice. The time I can
remember is running tsclient on FC3 to run a remote desktop to a Windows
box; when the session ends, the tsclient login dialogue pops up and is
disabled by a (meaningless) modal error dialogue behind it.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait