shortcut to new shell opened behind the first one ....

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Mar 13 00:06:07 UTC 2006

Uno Engborg wrote:
> John Summerfied wrote:
>
>> Uno Engborg wrote:

>>> Every new window is opened behind the shell.  Try to type open
>>> sabayon, by typing the
>>> command from a shell, and you will find that the sabayon window is
>>> completely covered
>>> by the shell from which it was opened. In fact it made me think
>>> sabayon was broken
>>> as nothing seamed to happen.
>>>
>>> I think that they did it this way to prevent opening windows from
>>> grabbing the user input,
>>> something that could be serious if the user is typing a password.
>>> However that situation is very rare and I think this should be
>>> regarded as a bug.
>>

>> With the old behaviour it's disturbingly common for a dialogue to pop
>> up and steal keystrokes. It's perfectly possible for a dialogue to be
>> dismissed (by the user pressing the space-bar) before it's read - that
>> has happened to me, and depending on the dialogue perhaps to result in
>> other wrong actions.
>>
>> KDE has been doing this for years, and once I became accustomed to it,
>> I think I've only found it inconvenient once or twice. The time I can
>> remember is running tsclient on FC3 to run a remote desktop to a
>> Windows box; when the session ends, the tsclient login dialogue pops
>> up and is disabled by a (meaningless) modal error dialogue behind it.
>
> No, KDE is not doing this. E.g try type sabayon from a gnome-terminal
> managed by metacity
> and typing sabayon in a ktermial running in Kwin. In  the Gnome case the
> entire sabayon window is totally covered by the gnome-terminal in the
> Gnome/metacity case. In KDE the sabayon window opens on top.

I know you think you understand what you think I said but in fact what I
said may lack some clarity:-)

KDE has been opening behind for years. I can click an icon to start
something, such as Mozilla, and it opens behind everything.

Further checking shows that, when I start kwrite in a konsole window, it
opens in front if konsole has focus, behind if not, and very cleverly,
"kwrite&" followed by further typing has kwrite opening behind.

I can't repeat this with gvim, but that may be a timing issue.

Probably the goal in Gnome was similar, but always there will be
implementation details that differ and corner cases where different
implementors make different choices - or completely overlook that a
choice can be made.

--

Cheers
John