LCD stays off on lid open

Fulko.Hew at sita.aero Fulko.Hew at sita.aero
Mon Nov 27 13:44:41 UTC 2006

fedora-test-list-bounces at redhat.com wrote on 11/26/2006 11:11:26 PM:

> For maybe around a week now, my laptop's does not turn back on when
> I open the lid.  I can be logged in or at the gdm screen, but
> closing the laptop lid permanently blanks my screen.  I have set all
> my gnome-power-manager options never to shut off the screen or
> perform any action on a lid close.
>
> I have a Dell Latitude D610 with an Intel 915GM/GMS/910GML
> (according to lspci), which uses the i810 video driver.
>
> FWIW, using the xset dpms force off does blank the screen, but it
> successfully turns back on when I move the mouse.
>
> Any ideas?

Yes.  I think I have the same issue with my Dell Inspiron 6400 (aka 1505?)
I googled the world and found someone (at U of T) with a solution that
worked for me. (sorry, I can't rememeber the url and I didn'w write it
down, but here it is from my notes:

 a) you need an ACPI events file to capture the lidswitch activity,
 b) a script to run when triggered to turn the light back on.

(Don't forget to mark lidswitch.sh as executable.)

1/ Add the file:  /etc/acpi/events/lidswitch

# /etc/acpi/events/lidswitch
# This is called when the lid is closed or opened and calls
# /etc/acpi/lidswitch.sh for further processing.

event=button[ /]lid
action=/etc/acpi/lidswitch.sh

2/ Add the file /etc/acpi/lidswitch.sh

#!/bin/sh
# /etc/acpi/lidswitch.sh
# Re-activates the screen when the lid is opened again

LID_STATE="/proc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state"
LCD_STATE="/proc/acpi/video/VID/LCD/state"
VT_NR=/tmp/lid_sh

if [ -e /tmp/acpi_sleep ]; then
      rm /tmp/acpi_sleep
      exit
fi

grep -q open "$LID_STATE"
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then               # open the lid
      vbetool dpms on

      if [ -e "$VT_NR" ]; then      # we closed the lid in X
            chvt $(cat $VT_NR)
            rm -f "$VT_NR"
      fi
else                                # closing the lid
      echo $(fgconsole) > $VT_NR    # remember the current vt
      chvt 1
fi

This document is strictly confidential and intended only for use by the addressee unless otherwise stated.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete it from your system.