How to report install bug?

Jerry Williams jwilliam at xmission.com
Tue Jan 23 05:10:53 UTC 2007

I did this a few more times and I noticed that is says that it is going to
write to /dev/sdd.  I also flipped the write protect on my SD card and it
whines a lot about it being read only.
I don't think the BIOS needs to be fixed.  I think the install needs to be
fixed to allow you to change the device that GRUB installs to.
I would expect the first device be the one that you boot from.
Something is smart enough not to try and write to the CDROM when you boot
from it.  My USB flash drive is only 16MB, but the install wants to
partition it and boot from it. I unchecked in on the first disk screen, but
it still tries to use it and complains every time I touch a partition.
When I used the advanced setting and put the Hard Drive first it crashed.
Can't we just list the devices on the first screen that show where GRUB is
going to write to and let the user tell it what they want to boot off of?

I did find out that if I disconnected the USB flash drive once I hit enter
for the NFS information that things went fine and it boots fine.

My concern it that I spend a bunch of time posting to different lists, but
it doesn't make any difference and that nothing changes unless you file a
bug report and even then I have my doubts.

If you ask me FC6 when backwards on some things in the install and I would
like to make it better, but I am beginning to wonder if that is possible.

I was thinking that this list was for people to report issues with testing
and get them fixed.  So if I report a problem is it going to make a
difference or are we going to blame some old piece of hardware for the
problems?

So can I make a difference or not?  If I can let me know what I need to do.
If not I will do something else where I can.

Thanks for the comment on GRUB, but there are several ways to get the system
back or booting from the hard drive that isn't what I am after. I want the
install to work right in the first place.  A lot of people don't use linux
because of the huge learning curve and problems like I am talking about.

Also the linux rescue doesn't work from nfs.  There is some kind of
reference to libncurses.so.5 that fails.