hard disk install broken?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Mon Aug 11 21:53:24 UTC 2008

I just attempted my standard CD/DVD free install technique
with the x86_64 fedora 10 alpha DVD iso image, and I can't
seem to get it to work.

I mount the iso image and copy isolinux/vmlinux and initrd.img
to my main /boot partition and make a grub entry to boot them.

I then boot that entry to get the installer going, and my first
problem is an interminable wait as it says it is looking for
installation media on /dev/sr0. It finally gives up, and let's
me pick local hard disk install as an installation technique.

That then asks for the partition and directory, I pick the
partition from the list and type the directory name in the
text field, but after going through all this 4 or 5 times
and verifying the directory names, it never works.

It always tells me it can't find any iso images in the location
I specified.

Do I need some kernel option I never had to specify before?

Anyway, I'm off to burn an actual DVD and see if that works...