rawhide slow like a snail because of kernel debugging?

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 20:37:07 UTC 2008

Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-02-10 at 17:59 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>> It has begun some weeks ago in rawhide and is the same in F9 Alpha,
>> which I installed from jigdo CD images.
>>
>> The entire system is slow whatever it does. Loadavg jumps up
>> quickly. When running a simple yum update, loadavg goes above 6. User
>> processes don't seem to get as much cpu power as would be possible.
>> Windows take seconds to open. The GNOME Desktop is not as responsive
>> as in F8 either. Opening dialogs, clicking buttons, there seems to be
>> a penalty on everything. It's unbearable. Testing rawhide or F9 is no
>> fun at all. Why is this? I remember that during Fedora Core test
>> releases various kernel debugging features are enabled. Is this the
>> reason also this time? Has it become much more cpu power hungry than
>> e.g. with FC7 and older?
>
> I have to agree as I experience the same thing.  *Sometimes* it is a
> little faster, but most often than not, it's slowww for most things.
> Like I even mentioned in the install observations, the rpm install
> itself took 2 hours or better to finish.

I do find nautilus to be pretty slow opening directories with more than 20 or so
items.. my home takes over 2s to display.  My home has 49 folders/files mixed
right now.  It sometimes will work quickly for a bit after that first slow open,
but not always.  I can see it open slowly 2-3 times in a row.  The cpu usage
spikes heavily when it is reading the directory.