rebooting from panel menu

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 23:32:28 UTC 2008

Jonathan Kamens wrote:
> For a long time, there was no "Shut Down..." on the GNOME panel menu.
>
> Then it came back, but it didn't do anything when I selected it and
> clicked "Reboot".
>
> I found errors in my .xsession-errors file indicating that
> gnome-power-manager wasn't running, so I started it.
>
> After starting it and doing Shut Down... > Reboot again, there was no
> longer an error in .xsession-errors, but reboot still didn't happen.
>
> Tried "gnome-power-cmd.sh reboot" and got this:
>
> Rebooting
> Error org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.PermissionDeniedByPolicy:
> org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot no <-- (action, result)
>
> I can't find any menu item that I looks like the one I can use to run a
> program to modify the referenced policy, nor can I find any
> documentation on the officially correct way to do this.
>
> Not sure how much of the trouble I'm having can be classified as bugs
> and how much can be classified as user ignorance, but it does seem like
> a bug that when I actively look for how to solve this problem, I can't
> find anything pointing me at the solution.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Thanks,
>
>  jik

You want to look at the tool in System->Preferences->System->Authorizations.
This is the new policykit config where you can authorize your user to issue
reboot, shutdown, etc, while other users are logged in and such.  The menu items
will not work if you have no authorization to use them.

You want the section freedesktop->hal->power-management

To ease setup on this during testing.. it might help to authorize your user to
make policy changes (use root auth to give your normal user permission to change
policy in this tool).  Then you can configure the policy easier (keeping in mind
  you're lowering the security barrier here during testing).